Originally uploaded by Bake & Destroy!
I have the same taste in cupcakes as your average four-year-old. I like yellow, as buttery as I can get, with vanilla buttercream and sprinkles. Basic, cute and sweet. This recipe might be the best-reviewed cupcake recipe of all time. Every baking blog raves about it, so who am I to disagree? I even forgot the butter until the last second and had to try to mash it in there without overmixing the flour and they still turned out fluffy and yellow and buttery as ever.
I topped mine with, in the case of these fluffy pink cupcakes, with left over vegan buttercream dyed pink and topped with cherry candies. I also topped some with whipped cream and fondant shark fins, which you can check out in my Flickr pictures.
Anyway, for the millionth time on the Internet, here’s the recipe for Billy’s Vanilla Vanilla Cupcakes:
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix on low speed until combined. Add butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
2. 2. In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.
3. Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about two-thirds full.
4. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes.
5. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat process with remaining batter.
I still have a dozen in my freezer, and I read they keep well in there if they’re wrapped properly. I’m going to decorate them with my niece this week end. Really you could top these with anything, but I think your favorite chocolate or vanilla buttercream would be best.
Be sure to check out my Etsy shop for shirts!