For all your homemade German chocolate cupcake needs I present to you, home made coconut pecan frosting. Rich, buttery and just as fattening as it sounds.
You will need:
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 12 tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 package (7 oz. 2 1/3 cups) sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
Place the evaporated milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks and vanilla in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thickened and golden brown in color, 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans. Cool the frosting to room temperature before spreading. About 20 minutes.