Originally uploaded by Bake & Destroy!
Praise be to Julie Hasson, she’s done it again. These are from 125 Best Cupcake Recipes, which is more valuable to me than all of my back issues of Bust and comic books combined.
For the cupcakes you will need:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temp.
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp lemon oil or extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a pan with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter until well combined. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating until well combined. Add lemon zest and lemon oil, beating well. Alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beating until smooth. Add lemon Juice, beating until just smooth.
- Scoop batter into pan and bake 20-25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
For the ginger cream cheese frosting you will need:
- 4 oz cream cheese, at room temp.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- 2 1/4 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch salt
- Use an electric mixer on medium-high and beat together cream cheese and butter until creamy.
- With mixer on low speed, add confectioners sugar 1/2 cup at a time until incorporated. Then increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add crystallized ginger, ground ginger and salt, beating until well combined.
There’s new stuff in my Etsy shop so check it out!