For the past 10 or so years I have spent Father’s Day morning making Rice Krispie treats for my dad. We always met up in Little Italy for the Festa Pasta Vino where we ate caprese salad out of paper cups and laughed at the old guys in gladiator costumes.
My dad took his Rice Krispie treats seriously, much to the dismay of my mom, who prefers to jazz them up with chocolate and peanut butter. To my dad, this was a complete bastardization of his favorite snack and on two days a year – his birthday and Father’s Day – we respected the Krispie in it’s natural state.
I don’t think I can bring myself to make Rice Krispie treats this year. I actually almost cry when I see that familiar blue box in the cereal isle. So instead, I’m going to honor my dad’s obsession with this crunchy, marshmallowy treat by presenting you with this Rice Krispie Treat Remix:
- Did you know that the earliest recorded Krispie Treat recipe dates back to 1916? Read more Krispie Treat history on Twisted-Candy.com
- Freak out your friends with this Krispie Treat watermelon! (My dad would have hated this!)
- Check out the world record-holding 10,000 lb Rice Krispie Treat!
Krispie Treat smores. (He would not appreciate this either.)
- Rice Krispie Treat Goat’s milk soaps – I actually gave these to my dad on Christmas and he somehow guessed what it was before he opened it!
- The Crispery – featuring gourmet Krispie Treats! (I think you know what my dad would say.)
- Hey vegans – make your Krispie Treats with Dandies Vegan Marshmallows!
- Salted. Caramel. Rice Krispie Treats…
- Fried Rice Krispie Treats. As in, fried rice. Yipes.
- Last year SugarSlam 2011 judge Ben Roche suggested I make my dad *real* homemade Rice Krispie Treats (which he would not have liked at all) by making my own puffed rice cereal and homemade marshmallows. I’m not sure if I was supposed to churn my own butter, but I just made him regular treats.
So how do you like your Krispie Treats? Feel free to add links to any other wild Rice Krispie recipes, facts or videos you find!