It’s Friday the 13th, y’all! Tonight I plan on cuddling up in front of the TV with a cup of cocoa and a cupcake and relaxing to the sweet crackle-crackle sound of campers being cremated alive in their own sleeping bags. Ah yes, the horrors of summer camp, how many times have we been warned over the years? Don’t leave the kiddies alone while you sneak off to make out with your boyfriend and his sweet 80s headband, don’t wander through the forest in your underpants and whatever you do, for the love of God, don’t re-open Camp Crystal Lake!
In honor of the original Friday the 13th, I’ve created these smores cupcakes (a variation on Julie Hasson’s Best Chocolate Cupcake recipe.) I’m even including a PDF so you can make your own Jason cupcake toppers. Just click here to download them, print them on cardstock, cut them out and glue them to toothpicks.
Vegan Smores Cupcakes
By January 13, 2012Published:
- Yield: 12 (12 Servings)
It's Friday the 13th, y'all! Tonight I plan on cuddling up in front of the TV with a cup of cocoa and a cupcake and relaxing to the …
- 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped vegan graham crackers
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 F and line one cupcake pan with paper liners. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the water, oil, and apple cider vinegar until just mixed. Fold in the chocolate chips and graham crackers.
Scoop batter into prepared pan - filling each cup about ⅔ full. Bake 22-25 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched with your finger. Place pan on a rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the pan and cool completely.
- For the marshmallow frosting:
½ cup vegan margarine;
1 & ½ cups Ricemellow Creme*;
1 Tbs vanilla extract;
3 cups confectioner’s sugar;
1-2 Tbs non-dairy milk as needed.
*Feel free to make your own vegan marshmallow fluff in place of using Ricemellow Creme; or use your favorite vegan vanilla buttercream recipe in lieu of this frosting.
- To make the marshmallow frosting beat the margarine and Ricemellow Creme together for 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla extract, then add the confectioner’s sugar 1 cup at a time until well incorporated. If the frosting is too loose, add a bit more sugar. If it’s too stiff, add a bit of non-dairy milk. Top each cupcake with a plop of frosting and sprinkle with more chocolate chips and graham cracker crumbs.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress