Did you catch me on The Perfect 3 with Kelsey Nixon on The Cooking Channel? I showed her how to make yummy vegan cupcakes without any scary ingredients. All you need is stuff you probably already have in your kitchen – bananas, cinnamon, maple syrup and a few other things. If you missed the episode, you can check out my segment here:
Tune into The Cooking Channel to catch a re-run:
- August 19, 2012 10:00 AM
- August 21, 2012 11:30 AM
- August 22, 2012 5:30 PM
- August 24, 2012 4:00 PM
- August 25, 2012 10:00 AM
Want to see the video that landed me this sweet appearance? Check it out here!
Vegan Banana Bread French Toast Cupcakes Recipe
By July 18, 2012Published:
- Yield: 12 cupcakes (12 Servings)
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
Inspired by the breakfast special at Salt & Pepper Diner in Chicago, these cupcakes combine bananas, cinnamon, maple syrup and walnuts for a breakfasty treat any time of day.
- 1/2 cup overripe banana mashed
- 1 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup rice or soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted & chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pan with paper liners.
- Toast walnuts in a 350 degree oven for just a few minutes – 4-5 should do the trick. Cool, then chop into small pieces.
- Throw your mashed banana in a blender or or just smash it with a fork.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and sugar into a large bowl, mix well.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the oil, soy or rice milk, vanilla, almond and mashed banana.
- Stir or fold the wet ingredients into the dry. Small lumps are fine. Finally, add the walnuts, folding gently.
- Fill liners 2/3 full. Bake 20-22 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely before frosting.
- To make the vegan maple buttercream frosting, beat together 2 cups confectioner's sugar, 6 Tbs (Earth Balance) margarine 6 Tbs non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, 2 Tbs maple syrup, 1/2 tsp maple extract and a pinch of salt until light & fluffy.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress