Pot pies are a savory dish incased inside two flaky pastry crusts. This dish doesn’t have a crust at all, so technically it’s a casserole, but here’s the thing about that – I don’t care. I like to say “tot pot pie” and there is nothing anyone on this earth can do to stop me. Nothing. I might be small, but I’m quick with an eye-poke and I have burned bridges over things way more petty than this, so let’s not come to blows over me calling a casserole a pot pie, OK?
Anyway, this recipe features a spin on a vegan cheese sauce you’ll find in my upcoming book, Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans. You should probably click that link, because I recently added some quotes about the book from people like vegan cookbook author Julie Hasson and pro-wrestler Colt Cabana, and I’m just a tiny bit proud of those.
Here’s the recipe for Chee-Zee Sauce, you’ll need it to complete this dish:
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 & 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Dissolve the salt in warm water, then add the cashews and soak them for at least 1 hour. Place all the ingredients, including the cashews and soaking water into a food processor and blend until smooth. Transfer to a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until thickened (6-8 minutes). Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. Remove from heat and set aside.
Vegan Tot Pot Pie Recipe Recipe
By April 18, 2013Published:
- Yield: 6-8 Servings
- Cook: 35 mins
Just when you thought saccharomyces cerevisiae couldn't get any more delicious...
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 chopped red pepper
- 1 (12 oz) can sweet corn drained
- 1 (12 oz) can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 (12 oz) can Rotel (tomatoes with chilis) drained
- 1 batch Chee-Zee Sauce
- 1 24 oz bag frozen tater tots
- Prepare Chee-Zee Sauce as directed above and set aside. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook 4-5 minutes until they soften.
- Add garlic and red pepper to the garlic and cook 2-3 more minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together the Chee-Zee Sauce, Rotel, corn, beans and garlic mixture.
- Scoop mixture into a large casserole dish, or into individual baking dishes.
- Top with frozen tots.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the tots are browned and the Chee-Zee Sauce is bubbling.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress