Just before Halloween I stopped by WGN Midday Fix to make my Chick-o-Cheesecake starring one of my favorite vegan candies – Chick-O-Sticks. I was very flattered and excited to find out at Atkinson’s Candy, the makers of Chick-O-Sticks saw my segment and to say, “hey, thanks for being pretty cool,” they sent me a big box of Crushed Mint Twist Candy for my holiday baking! I love Mint Twist candies more than peppermint candies or candy canes because they’re made with real peppermint oil as opposed to sticky-sweet flavoring. So they have an old-timey peppermint candy flavor that just says “Christmas at grandma’s house” to me.
I was meeting a friend for coffee last night, so I busted out the Crushed Mint Twists to make her some dark chocolate and peppermint whoopie pies, vegan of course. I mixed the candy into my filling, but you could roll the edges in yours for a pretty effect. I also dunked my whoopie pies in dark chocolate because why do just enough when you could do way too much?
For the filling, I used Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream, substituting 1/2 tsp vanilla for 1/2 tsp peppermint flavoring, and mixing in 1/4 cup Crushed Mint Twist Candy.
Vegan Mint Twist Whoopie Pies Recipe
By December 17, 2013Published:
- Yield: 12 large whoopie pies (12 Servings)
Chocolate. Mint. It ain't rocket science.
- 1 cup plain soy milk
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tbs ground flax seeds
- 3 Tbs warm water
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a measuring cup, stir the apple cider vinegar into the soy milk and set aside to curdle. In a small bowl, mix the warm water into the ground flax seed and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using an electric hand mixer, cream together the margarine and brown sugar. Beat on low for 3 minutes, then on medium for three more minutes until light and fluffy. Add the flax seed mixture and vanilla and beat one more minute.
- Add half the flour mixture and half the soy milk mixture to the margarine mixture and beat to incorporate. Add the remaining flour and soy milk mixture and beat until just mixed.
- Scoop 2 Tbs of batter into each cavity of a prepared whoopie pie pan, or onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 10-12 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched with finger. Remove from oven and cool on rack 5 minutes before removing from pan and cooling completely. Sandwich buttercream between two cooled whoopie pies.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress