Recently I was asked to develop & donate a vegan carrot cake recipe to a soon-to-be-published children’s book. I don’t typically worry about how healthy my desserts are, but since this one was specifically for the kiddos I figured I’d give it a shot. I thought it turned out pretty tasty but of course, all kids recipes have to pass the Food Puncher test before they get the final OK. I drug Teno away from Minecraft (note that he has been wearing those pajamas for THREE DAYS) so he could give the cake a try. I don’t know why he had so much trouble using a fork, but what’s important is that this cake got the thumbs up.
Food Puncher: Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe Review Recipe
By January 3, 2014Published:
- Yield: 2 9-inch round cakes (12 Servings)
- Cook: 28 mins
Feel free to substitute up to half of the ap flour with whole wheat, and to use whole wheat pastry flour in place of cake flour for a super-healthy cake!
- 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup plain soy milk
- 1 cup raw agave nectar
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree or one mashed, overripe banana
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans optional
- 1 cup raisins optional
- Grease two 9-inch round cake pans and preheat the oven to 350°F. Sift together the flours, baking powder, salt, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in the soy milk, agave nectar, potato puree, vanilla, and vinegar until just mixed. Fold in the carrots, pecans and raisins. Allow the batter to rest for 5 minutes before pouring into prepared pan - you may need to spread the batter in the pan with a rubber spatula. Bake 28-31 minutes, or until the top of the cakes spring back when lightly touched with your finger.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, top with your favorite frosting, applesauce or fruit spread, or try this healthy icing recipe:
2 cups raw cashews, soaked 4-6 hours;
2 tablespoons lemon juice;
2 tablespoons liquid coconut oil;
1/3 cup maple syrup &
1 teaspoon orange zest .
Drain the cashews and place all of the ingredients in a food processor or high speed blender. Blend until smooth - add a splash of water or soy milk if necessary for a creamy consistency. Spread evenly over cooled cake, slice and serve!
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress