This is one of my favorite and most-used recipes from my book! Pour it over nachos and baked potatoes, dip your chips in it or bake it into a casserole. This zesty version of my vegan Chee-Zee Sauce has just enough heat to let you know you’re eating nacho “cheese,” but not enough to blow your taste buds off. Of course, if you’re looking to make your mouth explode, just keep piling on the chipotle peppers and don’t come crying to me when your body rebels against you.
Vegan Nacho Chee-Zee Sauce
By August 30, 2014Published:
- Yield: 2-3 cups
- Prep: 60 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 mins
Here's a little waste-cutting tip about the chipotle pepper in adobo sauce - buy a can and use what you need for this recipe Then, place the remaining contents of the can in the food processor and process into a paste. Place the paste in the freezer, and scoop a little out every time you want to add zesty heat to a recipe.
- 1/4 cup raw cashews soaked in water for at least 2 hours, then rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce diced
- 1 & 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp onion power
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- If you're using a high speed blender you might be able to skip the soaking step for the cashews - but soak them if you're using an older blender or a food processor.
- Drain the cashews and give them a rinse.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Visible specks of pepper are a-ok! Taste at this point and decide if you want to add more chipotle peppers - remember, a little goes a long way.
- Transfer to a saucepan and cook over high heat, whisking constantly, until the cheese starts to bubble.
- Reduce heat to medium, and keep whisking until thickened (usually 3-4 minutes - but keep an eye on it because it might take less than that).
- Remove from heat and serve. If you're making it ahead of time, let it cool before storing it in the fridge in an air tight container. I've kept mine around for about 1 week before it starts separating and being weird.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress