“I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!” – Michael Corleone
Use this easy recipe for a vegan version of Alfredo sauce, or any savory white sauce, really. Reprinted with permission from Vegan Casseroles: Pasta Bakes, Gratins, Pot Pies, and More by Julie Hasson.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive compensation.
Almost Alfredo Sauce
By October 6, 2014Published:
- Yield: 3 cups
This all-purpose creamy white sauce makes a great Alfredo dupe sans cream and butter. Check out the end of the recipe for several variations.
- 2 & 1/2 cups plain, unsweetened soymilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked at least 2 hours & drained
- 2 Tbs nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbs oat flour
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 & 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- In the jar of a blender, combine the soymilk, water, cashews, nutritional yeast flakes, oat flour, cornstarch, salt, and granulated onion. Blend the mixture at high speed until completely smooth and no bits of nuts remain. If you don’t have a big blender, blend the mixture in two batches.
- Transfer the mixture to a large saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Bring the sauce to a simmer, whisking continuously. Once mixture comes to a simmer, reduce heat slightly and cook, whisking continuously until thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Tip: Use a good-tasting unsweetened soymilk for this sauce, as the flavor really comes through. Tip: If you're using a high-speed blender, you can skip the soaking step for the cashews, and just use them dry. Add a little extra water to blend if needed.
- To make a truffle sauce, to the blender jar add 1 to 3 tablespoons truffle oil to taste and reduce the granulated onion to 1/2 teaspoon. Add a few sprinkles of freshly grated nutmeg.
To make a white wine sauce, replace 3/4 cup of the soymilk with an equal amount of white wine.
To make this sauce lower in fat, reduce the cashews to 1/3 cup.
- Gluten-free: Use a gluten-free oat flour.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress