There are two great things about living in Albany Park, Chicago: 1) You are never more than three steps from really good falafel. 2) Right next to the falafel places there is probably an awesome European market at which you can buy Jaffa Cakes.
Never had a Jaffa Cake? Well, kiddo, it’s basically sponge cake and orange jelly covered in chocolate and it is god damn delicious. Jaffas is also the name of an orange-chocolate candy out of New Zealand. Do you see where I’m going with this one? Yes, an orange and chocolate smoothie that takes a flavor combo typically found in cookies and cakes and packs it into an actually good-for-you beverage. You’re welcome.
By December 12, 2014Published:
- Yield: 1 smoothie
- Prep: 5 mins
Chocolate + orange + blender = put it in your mouth hole.
- 1 ripe banana peeled (duh)
- 1 navel orange peeled
- 2-3 Tbs unsweetened almond butter or your favorite nut butter
- 2 Tbs flax seeds
- 2 Tbs raw cacao nibs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- plain unsweetened soy or almond milk or your favorite non-dairy milk, as needed
- Place the banana, orange, almond butter, flax seeds, cocoa nibs and vanilla in a blender. Cover with almond milk and blend until smooth. Add more almond milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Add your favorite vegan protein powder if you're into that sort of thing.
- If you have some on hand, fresh OJ or a drop or two of orange oil gives this some extra kick.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress