In many ways, Kelly Peloza and I are opposites – she is a patient food stylist and talented photographer, and on social media she is thoughtful and reserved, not feeling the need to Instagram every vegan nacho she has ever eaten, or punching out epic Facebook rants about annoying people on the El. And I, as you may know, am a human tornado. My food is messy, my photos are dimly lit, and if we are Facebook friends, you know that I am perpetually angry with people on the El.
Despite our differences, though, Kelly and I have been friends for many years now – we actually met when she popped up at my house to photograph Melisser Elliot for the cover of her book, The Vegan Girls’ Guide to Life.
I was mega-flattered when Kelly asked me to write the foreword to the second edition of her delectable cookbook, The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur: Over 120 Scrumptious Recipes Made with Natural and Simple Ingredients. I even managed to do it without using any swear words or anything!
Not only am I sharing one of my favorite unique recipes from this book, but I’m also giving away a copy signed by Kelly and myself.
Recipe and photo shared with permission from Kelly Peloza.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive compensation.
Vegan Lemon Cornmeal Cookies
By July 6, 2016Published:
- Yield: 15 cookies
From the author: These have a lovely unique texture, sort of crunchy and chewy. The taste is mild and lemony and the sugar coating is the perfect finishing touch.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbs plain soy milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar to coat
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder.
- Make a well in the middle, and add the oil, sugar, zest, soy milk and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- The dough will be crumbly, but will hold together when formed.
- Form into 2-inch disks and flop both sides in sugar.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown, then transfer to a wire cooking rack to cool completely.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress