I hope the past 10+ years of me doing this site has helped change the way people think about Chicago. Yeah, we love deep dish and hot dogs piled high with green relish and tomatoes (no ketchup, I swear to god we will hurt you) – but we also have a bangin’ vegan scene. We have tons of vegan restaurants and non-vegan restaurants with awesome vegan options, an action-oriented community with tons of pop-up markets and dinners, organized protests and meet ups, and, plenty of vegan cookbook authors, too.
One of those authors is Heather Crosby, creator of YumUniverse. Three years ago Heather released her first book, which was filled with healthy, gluten-free and vegan recipes and she’s back with a creative take on vegan/gf food once again. In her new book, YumUniverse Pantry to Plate: Improvise Meals You Love – from What You Have!, Heather offers up templates for recipes you can personalize a million and one ways.
For example, the Cheesy Comfort Food template offers up a mix-and-match of essentials for recipes featuring vegan cheese – veggies, cream.aromatics, acid, funk and extras. Using this template, you can customize your dream cheese using your fave ingredients – or whatever you have on hand – and then use them any way you like. She also includes recipes with each template to get you started (you know, if you went to Catholic school and like rules, like me).
I’m sharing her recipe for Sriracha Mac, which can be found in the Cheesy Comfort Food section – and inspired by the template idea – I’m noting here that if you don’t have or don’t like delicata squash, you could use another squash, sweet potato, or even cauliflower to make this sauce.
Recipe from YumUniverse Pantry to Plate © Heather Crosby, 2017. Photographs copyright © Heather Crosby, 2017. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com. Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links.
Vegan Sriracha Mac
By May 3, 2017Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
I hope the past 10+ years of me doing this site has helped change the way people think about Chicago. Yeah, we love deep dish and hot …
- 1 12 oz package of macaroni noodles use gf, if desired
- 2 cups peeled, seeded, and diced delicata squash steamed
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews soaked 4-6 hours, drained & rinsed
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp unrefined coconut oil
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt plus more to taste
- 1 tsp Sriracha plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp peeled, minced fresh ginger or 1/4 tsp ground
- 4 scallions sliced
- toasted sesame oil opptional
- Boil a large pot of water and prepare the macaroni noodles according to the package directions.
- While the noodles cook, combine the squash, water, cashews, garlic, lemon juice, coconut oil, nutritional yeast, salt, sriracha and ginger in your blender and puree until very smooth.
Taste, and add more sriracha if needed.
Transfer into a large pot and heat over a low flame.
- Drain the noodles and add to the pot of sauce; add the scallions. Stir, and season with more salt if desired.
- Drizzle with toasted sesame oil and serve warm.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress