2017 was arguably the Year of the Instant Pot, especially for vegans. Effortless rice, beans, slow-cooked meals? Who wouldn’t want one? And even though the Air Fryer made its rounds in my personal circle of vegan friends before the Instant Pot overshadowed it, I believe 2018 will be the Year of the Air Fryer, partially thanks to Kathy Hester.
Before I talk about Kathy’s new book,Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer: 75 Incredible Comfort Food Recipes with Half the Calories, let me fill you in on what an air fryer is, and why you need one. An air fryer is a countertop appliance that cooks food by circulating extremely hot air, resulting in a crunchy exterior similar to deep fried food, only without the use of oil. Tater tots, tofu, even dessert will come out just right in minutes, all without ever heating up your oven.
Tony and I have been using ours daily since we bought one about a year ago, but I really didn’t know how versatile of a machine it was until I started paging through Kathy’s cookbook. This book does not ease you into things like, “Oh, you can make French fries…” No. You knew that when you bought this machine, let’s get serious here. Kathy is like, “Hello, welcome to my book, did you know you can make your own frigging tomato powder in this thing?”
I instantly gravitated toward the dessert section and was excited to find I already had all the ingredients on hand to make this Carrot Cake in a Mug. (Note for folks with specialty diets, Kathy has notes on each recipe for those of you who are gluten-free and/or oil-free.) The cake baked perfectly, tasted amazing, and I was a god damn hero for serving everyone warm mugs of cake on a freezing winter day. Hey moms of pre-teens, get this: TENO ASKED ME TO MAKE IT AGAIN THE NEXT DAY!!! If you have ever faced the utter indifference of a twelve year old boy you understand how remarkable this is.
Oh, and P.S. There’s a quote from me on the back, so there you go. Recipe by Kathy Hester. Reprinted by permission of Page Street Publishing. Please note that some links in this post are affiliate links, which means if you click and make a purchase I may earn a commission.
Air Fryer Carrot Cake in a Mug
By January 15, 2018Published:
- Yield: 1 (1 Servings)
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 20 mins
This is a super easy recipe that serves one - although if you topped it with a scoop of ice cream you could share! I topped mine with a simple mix of vanilla extract and powdered sugar, chopped ginger candy and some lemon zest.
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or whatever flour blend you like
- 1 Tbs sweetener of choice I used brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground dried ginger
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 Tbs + 2 tsp unsweetened nondairy milk
- 2 Tbs grated carrot
- 1 Tbs raisins or chopped dates
- 2 tsp mild oil or, for oil-free use applesauce or mashed banana)
- Oil an oven-safe mug (Or use a single serving size nonstick pan to keep it no oil added).
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt then mix well with a fork. It's important to mix well so that the baking powder is evenly distributed.
- Next add the milk, carrot, walnuts, raisins, and oil then mix again. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Check with a fork to make sure the middle is cooked. If not, cook 5
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress