It seems like only yesterday SugarSlam III was just a twinkle in my eye and yet, here I am planing SugarSlam IV: Ready to Crumble already. It gets a little bigger and a lot better every year, so expect amazing things! Due to some shake-ups last year, we’ve made some changes to the rules and awards this year so pay attention, why dontcha?
Deadlines & Whatnot
Sheikie Baby’s Hulk Hogan Raisin Balls
The contest starts NOW!
- Contest Ends:
August 31 September 30, 2013 (recently extended!!!)– No entries will be accepted after this date!
- Submit as many entries as you want.
- International entries are eligible, however some prizes may vary depending on where you live.
All entries must be considered dessert/sweet items. Cakes, cookies, ice cream, etc. Qualification ultimately lies with the judges’ decision. If you aren’t sure if your idea qualifies, leave a comment on this post & someone will get back to you.
- You must create and decorate your own entry. Your friends and family are welcome to help, but you can’t hire or commission someone else to do it for you.
- Entries do not have to be “from scratch.” Boxed mixes and canned frostings are fine.
- Entries must be professional wrestling-themed (any federation), but this is NOT a decorating contest. Judging will be just as much about creativity as appearance, so don’t worry if you’re not a decorator.
- Be original. Please take a look at the entries from 2011 and 2013 so you don’t repeat anyone else’s idea.
- BE ORIGINAL! We’re repeating this because it’s important. Cakes shaped like wrestling rings are cute, but we’ve seen a dozen of them already. Sticking action figures in a sheet cake isn’t going to win you any creativity points, either.
- Your entry must be edible. Non-edible supports are allowed, but be reasonable.
How to Enter
Boom Boom Berry Blintzes
To enter, send ONE image file to SugarSlam4@gmail.com along with a title and short description of the entry. The description is especially important – last year the description was special tie-breaking judge CM Punk’s deciding factor. If you’d like to share more than one image, please use Photoshop or a free online photo collage editor to create one image file. (Example)
- Although it’s not at all necessary – you are welcome to make a WWE-style promo video talking about why your entry is going to win and the others suck.
- Silliness and gore are welcome, but keep it suitable for children. No nudity or cussing, please. (All entries are subject to approval.)
- Entering this contest gives me the right to reproduce and use your images throughout my site and on promotional materials, etc., as I see fit without compensation. Please note that I may use your photos even if you do not win. I will always try to credit your photos, but if you anticipate whining about this, don’t enter.
- The judges & I have the right to reject any entry for any reason.
How to Win
There are two titles up for grabs: SugarSlam 2013 Champion and People’s Choice. Our panel of judges, which includes Jill Thompson, Marty DeRosa and Colt Cabana will choose the Champ.
Judges will be looking for creativity and originality. As I mentioned, this is not a decorating contest, although awesomely decorated cakes, cookies and cupcakes are certainly welcome and encouraged.
In a new twist for SugarSlam IV, the judges will also be choosing 5 additional entries to put up for a vote in the People’s Choice competition. Bake and Destroy readers will then have a chance to vote for their favorites among those entries, and one person will win the award.
What You’ll Win
As always, the SugarSlam Champion gets to wear the championship belt, furnished by Highspots.com, for one year – after which they can choose to defend the title, or relinquish it to me, the general manager, until a new winner is crowned. Stay tuned for a post detailing all of this year’s prizes. In the meantime, check out these links to a few of our confirmed prize sponsors:
Update: You can view all of this year’s prizes here. If you are interesting in becoming a prize sponsor please email Natalie!
SugarSlam Street Teams
Want to get involved without entering? You’re the best.
Have other ideas for spreading the word? Leave a comment!
A Mark Henry-sized thank you goes out to Betty Turbo for designing this year’s posters, logos, etc. Thank you to Dani for funding all my printing costs again this year! Kisses to Heels in Pink for kicking in for advertising costs! Thanks to all my prize sponsors – you are all generous and incredibly good-looking.
Have more questions? Leave them as a comment below & I will consult with our judges and post a reply as a comment.